Air Travel | Cost of Living | Community Schools | Affordable Health Care | Recreational Parks | Media |Government | Religion | Libraries | Local Attractions | The Performing Arts
About Richmond/Wayne County Indiana
- Richmond is the county seat of Wayne County, Indiana.
- Wayne County is located in the nation's agricultural and industrial heartland.
- About 31% of the nation's population live within only 500 miles of Wayne County.
- Richmond has received national recognition in the "New Rating Guide to Life in America's Small Cities" ranking #13 in the U.S. and #1 in Indiana.
- Richmond received highest scores in the arts, learning institutions and broadcasting.
- Other criteria included the percentage of homeowners, broadcasting outlets, community groups and social services.
- Richmond 36,599
- Hagerstown 1,780
- Centerville 2,541
- Fountain City 792
- Cambridge City 1,863
- Wayne County 67,893
Greater Richmond Airport
- Five minutes from downtown Richmond, Indiana.
- Offers charter service.
- Two 5,100-foot runways accommodate any aircraft short of a jumbo jet.
- For information, call 765-983-7297.
- Located in Hagerstown in western Wayne County, Indiana.
- For information, call 765-489-7926.
Dayton International Airport
- Located in Vandalia, Ohio, 40 minutes east of Richmond, Indiana.
- Offers 14 passenger airlines with direct and non-stop flights to 41 US and 2 Canadian cities.
- Serves 2 air-cargo firms and 14 air-freight consolidators, with Foreign Trade Zone.
- For information, call 937-454-8200.
Indianapolis International Airport
- Located 80 minutes west of Richmond, Indiana.
- Rated one of the best US airports by International Air Transport Association.
- Serves 14 commercial passenger airlines with many non-stop destinations daily.
- For information, call 317-487-9594.
Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport
- Located 90 minutes south of Richmond, Indiana in Florence, Kentucky.
- Serves 13 passenger airlines offering daily non-stop and direct service to 115 cities (Paris, London, Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, Toronto and Montreal).
- Handles 650,000 pounds of express freight nightly.
- For information, call 859-767-3151.
Cost of Living
Low Overall Taxes
- Property taxes: Taxes are assesed based on fair market value.
- 7% sales tax (except on food, prescription drugs, items consumed/used in manufacturing).
- 3.3% state and 1.5% county income tax on adjusted gross individual income.
- Edit tax at the rate of 1.5% support county economic development
Low Utility Costs
- Electricity rates as low as 3.7 cents per kW (municipally-owned utility)
- Natural gas is 8% below the national average.
- Home ownership within reach of higher percentage than in most of Indiana and U.S.
- Median home price is just $96,671.
- Ample rural building sites (5-20 acres) throughout the county.
- Housing Costs:
|New Construction:||3-bedroom/2-bath, 1,400 sq. ft.||$160,000 - $180,000|
|Existing:||2-bedroom/1-bath, 800 sq. ft.|
4-bedroom/3-1/2 bath, 2,800 sq. ft.
Richmond Community Schools is the largest of five county school districts. Others are located in Fountain City, Centerville, Cambridge City, and Hagerstown Indiana.
Centerville-Abington Community Schools
- Two elementary schools, junior high and high school.
- From 1994-1999 invested $600,000 in technology.
- EXCEL Program for academically talented, Early Intervention for School Success, Reading Recovery Program and programs academically handicapped, attention deficit.
- Administrative Office: 115 West South Street, Centerville, Indiana.
- Information: 765-855-3475
Nettle Creek School Corporation
- Kindergarten to 6th grade elementary schools, 7th to 12 grade junior/senior high school.
- 1,000,000 5-year plan for technology
- Student/teacher ratio is about 17 to 1.
- 85% classroom teachers have masters degrees
- Administrative Office: 297 East Northmarket Street, Hagerstown, Indiana.
- Information: 765-489-4543.
- Two schools make up district: elementary and junior/senior high school
- Works with Indiana University East to assure instruction is cutting edge
- Graduation rates as high as 90%
- Administrative Office: 314 W Main Street, Fountain City, Indiana 47341
- Information: 765-847-2821.
Richmond Community Schools
- Six elementary schools, two middle schools, and a high school.
- Adopted Site-Based Shared Decision Making allowing parents, teachers, and community to decides individual school curriculums, instruction and culture.
- High achievement rate in Early College program and Logos with an almost 100% pass rate on ISTEP.
- Highest percentage of money going to students (68.9%) in Wayne County.
- Administrative Office: 300 Hub Etchison Parkway, Richmond, Indiana.
- Information: 765-973-3300. http://rcs.k12.in.us
Western Wayne Schools
- Academic programs have achieved excellent attendance rates of 95-96%
- Test scores consistently above those in the school system's PBA league.
- Administrative Office: P. O. Box 217 Pershing, Indiana 47347
- Information: 765-478-5375.
- The Childrens School: 765-966-5767
- Richmond Friends School: 765-966-5767
- Seton Catholic Primary, Intermediate, and High School: 765-962-5010, 765-962-4877, and 765-965-6956
- Seventh Day Adventist Church School: 765-935-1033
Bethany Theological Seminary
- Graduate seminary established in 1905, affiliated with Church of Brethren
- Offers two master's degrees and 4 one-year certificate program.
- Office: 615 National Rd. West, Richmond, Indiana.
- Information: 765-983-1800. http://www.bethanyseminary.edu
- Distinguished liberal arts college Founded by the Quakers in 1847.
- Rated among the top 70 national liberal arts colleges in the nation
- Offers programs and consulting services for companies seeking to establish business contacts in Japan and the Pacific Rim.
- Address: 801 National Road West, Richmond Indiana.
- Information: 765-983-1734.
Earlham School of Religion
- Seminary (founded in 1960) affiliated with the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
- Master of arts and master of divinity degrees offered.
- Address: 228 College Avenue, Richmond Indiana.
- Information: 765-983-1423.
Indiana University East/Purdue University Programs
- One of eight campuses of Indiana University
- Certificates, associate and bachelors degrees offered in more than 40 programs.
- Indiana University East enrollment: 3,365. Purdue Programs enrollment: 170.
- Address: 2325 Chester Blvd. Richmond Indiana.
- Information: 765-973-8200.
Ivy Tech State College
- Public, statewide, community-based technical college offering associates degrees and one-year technical certificates .
- Courses: business, health and human services, technology, general education.
- Works with local businesses to provide needed technical skills
- Address: 2325 Chester Blvd., Richmond, Indiana.
- Information: 765-966-2656.
- Web site: http://www.ivytech.edu/richmond.
Affordable Health Care
One hospital, over 100 family practices and specializing physicians and a large number of facilities and professionals provide physical healthcare services to Wayne County Indiana.
Reid Hospital & Health Care Services
As you will see on campus and throughout their site, Reid has undergone many changes over the years. The biggest change? They've got a brand new hospital - allowing them to provide you with a phenomenal healing environment as well as the very latest in medical technology!
But the care you receive at Reid goes far beyond their exterior. Their people live and breathe the same commitment they've had to their community for years - a commitment to being involved and to being that extra hand patients and families need while they recover. From their physicians and nurses to those working in the Café at Twelve Hundred, Ginkgo Boutique, and their Espresso Bar, the team at Reid can tell you story after story about how they make a difference in their patients' lives. Just take a look at what their patients are saying!
Enhanced services that make Reid the right choice for you:
Added touches that will make your stay with them more comfortable:
- Bedside computers that include patient education, Internet access, movies, games and more
- Family-focused patients rooms with a fold-out sofa and a table for visitors to play cards
- Easy-to-find Pharmacy with separate drop off and pick up windows
- On-campus restaurant, the Café at Twelve Hundred
- Espresso Bar featuring Starbucks© Coffee and delicious baked goods
- Unique gifts at the Ginkgo Boutique
- Massage services - seven days a week
- Address: 1100 Reid Parkway, Richmond, IN 47374.
- Information: 765-983-3000 Website: http://www.reidhealth.org
- Richmond's largest park, Glenn Miller Park covers 196 acres.
- Includes municipal golf course, tennis courts, a band shell, a large play ground, picnic shelter facilities.
- Other city parks offer fishing, ball diamonds, tennis courts, picnic areas and a municipal swimming pool.
- Middle Fork Reservoir offers paddle boating, sailing, fishing, playground.
Whitewater Gorge Park
- A spectacular geological gorge divides Richmond and offers miles of hiking trails, virtual wilderness and vertical cliffs.
- Location of the picturesque Thistlewaite Falls.
- Rails to trails (Cardinal Greenway) project is partially completed and will link Richmond to Muncie via a former train line converted to a hiking/biking/skating trail.
Cope Environmental Center
- Cope Environmental Center is the primary project of the Francis Parks Foundation and is organized exclusively for educational and scientific purposes.
- CEC provides education, research and demonstrations that promote the sustainable use of the earth's resources.
- The property ( -102 acres) features a nationally significant collection of conifer trees from around the world, hardwood forests, a six acre native Indiana prairie, 3 wetlands, 2 ponds, and a variety of sustainability demonstrations.
- Trails are free and open to the public dawn to dusk everyday of the year!
- Website: http://www.copeenvironmental.org
- Information: Richmond Parks and Recreation Department 765-983-7275
- Website: http://www.waynet.org/nonprofit/gorge.htm
- Nettle Creek Gazette (Weekly) 765-478-5448
- Palladium-Item (Daily) 765-962-1575
- Wester Wayne News (Weekly) 765-478-5448
- WECI (FM) 95.1
- Earlham College: classical, jazz, folk, blue grass, opera, rock, soul, progressive sounds
- WFMG Hits 101.3: Contemporary Hits
- WKBV (AM) Radio: Talk and news
- WQLK (FM) KICKS 96: Country
Information (765) 962-1595
- Insight Communications, Inc. Local cable access
- WCTV Whitewater Community Television- Indiana University East
Information: 765-973- 8488
- Trinity Broadcasting Network: Richmond Christian broadcasting
- Waynet, INC.: member Indiana Community Network Association.
- Lingle Real Estate is sponsoring member.
- Information: http://www.waynet.org
- Nine City Council Members, one Mayor.
- Three County Commissioners, Seven County Council Members.
- City Council members also comprise the board of directors for Richmond Power and Light, a public electric utility.
- Human Rights Commission: 765-983-7235
Planning and Zoning
- Richmond and Wayne County have separate Planning and Zoning Commissions.
- Richmond Plan Commission information: 765-983-7341.
- Wayne County Plan Commission information: 765-973-9249.
- 72 police officers, including those that work with juveniles in the D.A.R.E. program.
- One liaison with high school and civilian employee working with neighborhood organizations.
- 80 firefighters; five stations; 13 trucks; fire insurance rating Class 3.
- Offers training classes for Richmond High School Juniors and Seniors.
|Richmond Power and Light Co. (city)|
Cinergy/PSI Energy (rural)
Whitewater Valley REMC (rural)
|Water:||Indiana-American Water Co.|
Large Selection of Churches, Temples
- 12 Baptist churches and temples.
- 3 Catholic churches.
- 10 Christian churches.
- 4 Lutheran churches.
- 5 Methodist churches.
- Episcopal, Presbyterian, Nazarene, Pentecostal, and Jehovah's Witnesses churches.
- Jewish synagogue.
- Located in downtown Richmond in an imaginatively designed building
- Capacity for 300,000 volumes
- Information: 765-966-8291. Website: http://www.mrlinfo.org
- Located at Earlham College, 801 National Road, Richmond, Indiana
- Information: 765-983-1287.
Indiana Univertisty East Library
- Located at Indiana University East, 2325 Chester Blvd., Richmond, Indiana
- Information: 765-973-8311.
Richmond-Wayne County played a major role in the westward movement of the early 19th century. The Old National road (Route 40) which runs through Richmond-Wayne County was the road to the west for supply wagons, stage coaches, covered wagons, and people on horseback. To the west of Richmond, lies Centerville, the original Wayne County seat. It's entire downtown is a historic district on the National Register. Today the community is known for its several antique shops, craft shops, bed and breakfasts.
Tourism Bureau Welcome Center
- One of the finest in the state, located at the east edge of Richmond, just off I-70 .
- Offers tourist information and Hoosier hospitality.
- Information: 765-935-8687.
Huddleston Farmhouse Inn Museum
- Former travelers inn on the National Road.
- Location of the Eastern Regional Office of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana.
- Iinformation: 765-478-3172.
- In Cambridge City, Indiana local library is a small museum featuring Overbeck art and pottery.
- Overbeck sisters produced art and pottery from 1911-1955.
- Information: 765-478-3335.
Levi Coffin Museum
- 19th century home used by Quaker Levi Coffin as a safe house and stop on the Underground Railway for Negro slaves fleeing to Canada.
- Information: 765-847-2432.
Indiana Football Hall of Fame
- Memorabilia from collegiate and professional football teams throughout Indiana.
- Information: 765-966-2235.
Gaar Mansion Museum
- 1876 built home of Abram Gaar, an industrialist and his wife Agnes.
- Features parquet floors, hand-painted ceilings, original art and furnishings.
- Information: 765-966-1262.
Wayne County Historical Museum
- Founded by Julia Meek Gaar in the early 20th century.
- Egyptian mummy, early automobiles manufactured in Richmond, Victorian toys, textiles.
- Replications of early 19th century shops.
- Information: 765-962-5756
Richmond Art Museum
- Only U.S. museum located in operating high school. McGuire Hall, Richmond High School.
- Collection includes regional art, Japanese and European works.
- Information: 765-966-0256.
- Tennis, hiking, fishing, sailing and more
- Wintertime cross country skiing at Hayes Arboretum
Nature and Gardens
E.G. Hill Memorial Rose Garden
The All America Rose Garden
The German Friendship Garden
- Dedicated in 1937, the E.G. Hill Memorial Rose Garden honors famed rosarian, Gurney Hill.
- The All America Rose Garden has over 1,600 roses, annuals and perennials.
- Friendship with German City Zweibruken led to Friendship Garden.
- All located in Glen Miller Park in Richmond.
- Former estate of the industrialist Stanley Wolcott Hayes.
- 355-acre nature preserve and natural history center.
- Information: 765-962-3745. Website: www.hayesarboretum.org.
Richmond Uptown Shopping
- Beautiful, downtown serpentine streetscape with brick sidewalks, flower planters, café tables, reproduction iron gaslights, brick crosswalks and ornamental trees.
- Many businesses, boutiques and restaurants.
- Mural painted on building commemorates Richmond as the birthplace of recorded jazz.
- Richmond Square Mall upscale enclosed shopping area.
- 20 screens, a large variety of popular eating establishments.
- Several strip shopping centers.
- Southwest 5th Plaza Shopping area earned Chamber of Commerce beautification award.
- Gourmet food shop, outstanding gift gallery and card and stationery shop.
The Performing Arts
Richmond Civic Theater
- Continuous productions since 1941 with local talent presenting eight major plays each year.
- Productions staged in historic Murray Theater, former setting for vaudeville productions with Marx Brothers, Fannie Brice, Jack Benny and Bob Hope.
- Information: 765-962-1816
Richmond Symphony Orchestra
- Over 70 piece symphony provides seven concerts each year at Civic Hall Performing Arts Center
- Performed continuously since 1957.
- Information: 765-966-5181. Website: http://www.richmondsymphony.org
Civic Hall Performing Arts Center
- 6.5 million dollar, state-of-the-art Civic Hall has 924 seats and outstanding acoustics.
- Located on Richmond High School campus.
- Used by students for musical and theatrical productions, Richmond Symphony, civic organizations and touring companies.
- Information: 765-973-3350. Website: http://www.civichall.com.